Còig at Seeley’s Bay Community Hall

Join us on Friday December 1st for a special Christmas show featuring Còig from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia at the Seeley’s Bay Community Hall. The show will be hosted in partnership with the Seeley’s Bay and Area Residents Association.

Còig, one of Atlantic Canada’s premiere traditional groups, is an ensemble of East Coast musicians originally forming to promote the Celtic Colours International Festival. In one explosive coming together, what was once solo acts on stage has amalgamated into one electrifying super group, picked as Penguin Eggs magazine’s 2014 #1 New Discovery internationally. With the fiery Celtic style as its musical core, Còig easily shifts between century old tunes of past generations to original and contemporary compositions, featuring the band’s range of over a dozen instruments (vocals, fiddles, piano, guitar, banjo, mandolin, viola, bouzouki, whistles, and more). With driving tunes, haunting songs, and infectious energy, Còig is an unparalleled musical force.

Tickets available online, or by phone at (613) 402-1425. Tickets are also available to purchase locally at Main Street Hardware (139 Main Street, Seeley’s Bay, Ontario).

 

 



Seeley’s Bay Community Hall

Seeley's Bay Community Hall

The Seeley’s Bay Community Hall sits above the Seeley’s Bay Fire Department, and their stories are intertwined. In July of 1950, after a fire destroyed much of Seeley’s Bay, a group of concerned citizens gathered to create their own fire department. They bought their first fire truck that year, a 1923 American LaFrance truck that the whole community came out to watch roll into town. This first truck, as with all subsequent fire equipment and buildings, was purchased through the fundraising efforts of a dedicated community.

The fiSeeley's Bay Community Hall - Interior 2rst fire house was a single bay garage completed in 1952. In 1960, with the help of the newly-formed Ladies Auxiliary, the fire house was enlarged to a double bay garage with a community hall upstairs. Finally, in 1983, the building was completely renovated to its present form, which includes the hub of the village: a large community hall on the second floor. In this hall, the community spirit that built a fire department out of the ashes of a devastating fire continues on with dances, bingo nights, weddings, craft sales, and a story festival. The Seeley’s Bay Community Hall exemplifies how local residents work together to make the village and the surrounding area a better, safer place to live.


151 Main St. Seeley’s Bay, Ontario.

13866917_683950415088348_975080750_n