In 1895, the land for the Snow Road School was purchased for $30. Opened in 1897, the school welcomed up to 50 students at one time—under the tutelage of one brave teacher! The school closed in 1966 and remained unoccupied until 1977, when “The Happy Gang,” a seniors’ group, decided to make it their home. The gang spent three years renovating, adding a kitchen, washrooms, insulation and panelling. Late 2016 saw a complete kitchen renovation and the addition of a front vestibule, accessible ramp and stairs and air conditioning as part of a Canada 150 project.
The vibrancy of the hall may come from its origins as the area’s old seat of learning. Gone are the box stove and three-pupil-per-seat desks, but there are still plenty of reminders of the building’s past: the blackboard, portraits of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip and Queen Victoria, a quilt of founding families and many old school photos. Today, The Happy Gang is gone, but many citizens meet here regularly to drink coffee, enjoy sumptuous meals, celebrate special occasions and mourn loved ones. Music now resonates louder than the old school bell, and exercise classes, cards and genealogy keep this 129-year-old building a-hummin’.