Royal Canadian Legion Branch 458
In January 1947, some 30 veterans from both the First and Second World Wars gathered in a local barbershop to pursue the idea of forming a Tamworth Branch of the Canadian Legion. The first official meeting took place in the more formal setting of the Tamworth Town Hall in February of 1947, where a provisional executive committee was appointed, consisting of members whose family names still resonate in the community today: Stinson, Richmond, Wager, Coburn, and Davison. Branch 458 of The Royal Canadian Legion was formed and was named The Ken Stinson Memorial Legion, after the executive’s first president.
By 1950 the group had constructed itself a two-story home. However, when the Liquor Control Board of Ontario came to the community looking for a storefront suitable for their operations, the Legion sold the structure to the LCBO and rented back a portion of the building, including Abbott Hall on the second floor, in an arrangement that has lasted more than 50 years.
Abbott Hall currently provides space for a variety of community events, including children’s activities, line dancing, euchre tournaments, recreational darts, dancercise, wedding receptions and, of course, concerts.
Great Lake Swimmers will perform at the Tamworth Legion on Sunday September 17th at 3:00 PM. Tickets here!
714 Addington St, Tamworth, ON