St. Andrew’s United Church
St. Andrew’s United Church was originally built and consecrated in 1891 as St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. In 1899, drive sheds were built at the rear of the church to house the congregation’s horses and buggies. In 1957, drive sheds no longer necessary, a 30×70-foot addition was built in the same area. The addition consisted of a modest entry, a cloak room, a kitchen, and an auditorium, which was eventually upgraded with a stage. A scant 15 years later saw the building of another addition on the east side of the hall to accommodate washrooms, an entry way, kitchen, and boardroom. Since 2007, the hall has seen even more major renovations, including a state-of-the-art kitchen, making it a favourite gathering place for all members of the community, from scouts to seniors.
As Toledo grows and changes, so, too, does its beloved church hall. Though its shape has been upgraded over the years, the hall’s spirit of community is as strong today as it was at the turn of the century, when horses and buggies were still parked in the drive shed.
284 County Rd 8, Toledo, Ontario