The Merrickville United Church opened its doors as a Methodist church in 1890. All of the materials used in its construction, including wood, iron, tin, and limestone, were provided locally, and the work was done by local craftspeople. The cast-iron ends that support the pews, for example, were built at the Percival Plough Foundry, which still exists today under different ownership. The pews themselves were built on the spot, curving around the sanctuary and sloping gently down to the front of the church. The pew cushions were sewn by the ladies of the church with fabric they bought for ninety cents a yard using money raised through ice cream socials. The total cost of the church—$1,600—was completely paid off, no debts owing, by its original 350 members.
Some changes have been made over the years. The original steeple, whose bell warned the town of emergencies and called church families to Sunday worship, was replaced after being destroyed by fire in the 1940s. What has endured is the simple, clean Craftsman Style of the building that reflects the space’s original Methodist philosophy. The design also makes for incredible acoustics, which is why the church has been a favourite venue for choir concerts or other musical performances.
This year’s concert at the Merrickville United Church will be hosted by the Merrickville Organization for Culture and the Arts. For more information, please visit: http://www.mag-artists.ca/
100 St. Lawrence Street, Merrickville, Ontario.